Kids' books with Black protagonistsby mattstauffer
Note: Most of these are applicable to the ages older than I have listed, but I've put them where they were when my kids first started really enjoying them.
- Shades of People
- Peekaboo Morning and Peekaboo Bedtime
Really, anything in the "toddlers" section will be fine for these kids. But there aren't a ton of baby-focused books I know.
Toddlers (3-4 or 3-5ish?)
- The Snowy Day
- Please, Baby, Please
- I like myself
- All the World
- I Got the Rhythm
- Tiny and the Big Dig
- Rapunzel (Rachel Isadora edition)
- Big Hair, Don't Care
- Princess Truly series
Young kids (4-7 ish?)
- Crown: An Ode to the Fresh Cut
- Firebird (Misty Copeland)
- Sam and the Tigers
- Mae Among the Stars
- Jabari Jumps
- Everything by Vashti Harrison!
- The book about loving my hair inspired by the short movie that came out recently
Middle readers (maybe 6-9 or something?)
- All of the EllRay Jakes books
- John Henry (by Julius Lester and Jerry Pinkney)
I have more--I'll try to look at the kids' bookshelves later!
Uncategorized age-wise yet, or those I can't remember the title but will try to find it soon
- The dancing one my kids love
- The one about the Black family shopping
Suggestions from my friends
- Billy Bloo is Stuck in Goo
- Ada Twist, Scientist
- Princeless (graphic novel series)
- Secret Coders (graphic novel series)
- Wizard of Earthsea
- A list of books that discuss race and racism: https://twitter.com/wanderingbritt_/status/1267617830872154113
- An app, "We Read, Too", featuring books by authors of color: https://twitter.com/WeReadTooApp
- Broadening the Story: 60 Picture Books Starring Black Mighty Girls: https://www.amightygirl.com/blog?p=11056
- Bud, not Buddy
- Islandborn by Junot Diaz
- Ghost by Jason Reynolds
- "Anything by Kwame Alexander"
- The Stories Julian Tells
- The House of Dies Drear
- I Want to Be a Doctor
- I Want to Be a Veterinarian
- A Fist for Jou Louis and Me
- "Any children's book by Nnedi Okorafor"
- "Anything by Zetta Elliot"
- Monster Trouble
- Small Steps